Saturday, July 26, 2014

Strength Training

We had our second session of phase 2 of training yesterday which is strength.  We started training last winter with  Power Company Climbing that our friend Kris Hampton runs. He writes training programs and blog posts about climbing.  The results over the spring were amazing and we decided to continue the training program through summer to get ready for the fall.  Our current program phase is intense and involves hangboard workouts with weights, something I have never done before.  Ben and I always thought we knew what training was.  We would go into the gym, do a few routes two times in a row, maybe do a 4x4 once every couple of weeks, and that was it.  We quickly found out once beginning the training program how intense training can be, but how beneficial it is in the long run.  Training pushes you physically and mentally which is good for all aspects of climbing.  You learn how to push yourself to the max even when you think you can't go any further.  If I want to send hard, I have found that I have to teach my body to climb this way, something that takes practice.  I am very excited to see the results that this season of training brings for the fall!

Click on the Power Company Climbing link above to see what the website has to offer!      


No comments: